Stepping Heavenward

2006-10-16

Very Random Thoughts

There are changes happening in our family right now, and the other day I was musing to myself and remembering all the ideas I used to have for my life when I was younger and comparing them to what is happening now.

As a girl/young teenager, I had great plans for my life. I would look around at the girls I knew in their mid twenties and vow to myself that my life wouldn't be like theirs. Their lives weren't bad...they just weren't exciting. There was no way I would waste my life working in some supermarket, or with some other boring, every day job. My life would be adventure-filled.

I read and re-read books like Going Solo and saw myself in Africa like Roald Dahl. I would experiance the experiances, see the sights, smell the smells and enjoy living in such a wonderful place. Meeting girafes and elephants seemed very cool.

I read the Anne Books about half a million times and saw myself walking through shadowy woods with a bosom friend, and sitting on the fence post watching the sun go down on a little village I loved.

And, like most other girls, I read Little Women so much that I could just about quote the entire book by heart. I saw myself with my "Laurie" , growing up together. We would spend our lives playing jokes on people and each other, and be best friends and worst enemies several times each during the day. We would take long walks and solve the world's problems together and be all-round best friends.

If none of these dreams were to come true, I would just settle with travelling the world. I would go to poorer countries and play football in the dirt with the children. I would teach little blind children Braille and befriend loney, broken hearted people and bring a light into their lives.

Grand Plans

Well, I think I have matured a little since then. Those wild and far-fetched dreams are slowly begining to fizzle out. I haven't given up on them completely yet, but for the moment the closest I'll get to India will be writing to little Ajjay over there. The closest I'll get to kicking a football around with beautiful dark-eyed children will be kicking our football around in the field and sinking in the mud. As for "Laurie", well, he didn't turn up. The closest I have come to finding one is in my cousin Ben. He always cracks me up. But that's all via email from 10,000 miles away.

Oh, and as for vowing never to work in a supermarket? Well, I have just finished filling in a application form to work in a shop close by. Wow. Yes, the reality of life is quite different to those funny dreams I used to have!

The reason for applying for this job is because my brother, Tristan, has just moved out of home and is heading up North to County Galway. (I found out which county it was after telling everybody at Bible-Study he was moving to County Donegal. Oops!:))
As Tris has always put money towards the rent of our house, I need to find a job quickly, or we might just end up living in our car! My visa has been stamped again for another year...and from now I am legally allowed to get a job. So the timing workd out right :)

This morning before Tris left, we all stood in the kitchen and Dad prayed. Mum and Brenna cried, hugs were given (probably much to his disgust)and then he jumped in the car and we watched him drive out, narrowly missing the concrete post as he went past. We all laughed and said something like "We'll see if he can get out of the drive way first!"


So, there you have it. Random thoughts...with no value, but felt like writing them anyway!

7 Comments:

  • Your random thoughts do indeed have value--rich value!! Thank you for sharing them...

    I, too, find it fascinating to reminisce on what I once dreamed about. In many amazing ways, God has helped some of my most childish dreams come true--and others He has refined and asked me to put away for now. It's so exciting, seeing this story He's writing.

    Aw, you'll miss your bro... :(

    By Blogger Danielle, at 11:28 AM  

  • Yeah I know, its funny looking back to when I was a little kid thinking about all these awesome things I'd do and places I'd live. I think it must be a book worm thing. Cuase I love to read. It builds your imagination!


    P.S. I haven't however given up on my wild dreams!

    By Blogger Chris McCarthy, at 2:15 PM  

  • No, I haven't completely given up on all of them... I still dream, but I am just trying to be a leeetle more realistic now than when when I was younger! :)

    Hmm. I often ask myself, "where will I be te years from now?" Ooo...the suspense! LOL

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 2:37 PM  

  • ..."te years" being interpreted is "ten years"...in case you were wondering! :)

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 2:40 PM  

  • thanks for checking out my blog... yours looks great! Have a great day!

    By Blogger Mrs. Diamond, at 2:58 PM  

  • Hey good thoughts, God is one who certainly can change our minds. And our desires.

    By Blogger Keith M., at 4:09 PM  

  • Yeah I am starting to realise how much responsabilty you get as you get older.

    By Blogger Chris McCarthy, at 4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home