Stepping Heavenward

2006-09-01

Make Way For Modesty!


I just found this and just HAD to share it here with you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An amusing and beautiful thing happened this morning and I have to share it with you . . and also thank you for encouraging modest dress on your blog!


Please know that I am not being judgmental in telling this story. It is just a testament - at least in my opinion - to the way men react based on how a girl chooses to attire herself.

In NYC, for women, walking past or through a construction area is always an "event." I'm not saying that the men are always crude or inappropriate, but you never know what comments are going to be made and it can be extremely uncomfortable. Most women and girls I know have gotten used to it, ignore it, and avoid it when it's possible.


This morning, I saw barricades and workers in their jackets and hard hats milling around up ahead of me, as I was about half a block away from my office. As I crossed the street I realized there was no way I was getting to the building entrance without passing through the pedestrian walkway that had been put up to allow people to navigate through the construction site safely. There was a young woman ahead of me, also going into my building, who was dressed in a very short skirt, high stiletto heels, and a nearly-sheer sleeveless blouse.


A few of the men whistled and some of them called out to her - a few of them even jokingly stood in her path. She lowered her head and started walking more quickly which, of course, didn't really help the matter at this point.


I kept on walking, figuring that I might be in for it as well, since this was clearly a rowdy group. Most of their eyes had now turned to me, in my pretty-but-simple capped-sleeve dress, with a skirt that hit my knees, and "boring" low heels.


And what did one of the men say to the rest of the group standing on the walkway?


"Make way for the lady."


-Jessica

3 Comments:

  • Hi there! I'm Lauren, Danielle C's sister. I just came and visited your blog since I saw the email that you sent (ages ago) to Danielle with the link to here!

    I just wanted to say that that is such a sweet story- thank you for posting it here. It is a great reminder and boost to dress modestly!

    Bless you!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 PM  

  • Thanks for the comment! It's always great to get feed back! And may I just say, that I always enjoy your writings, too :)

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 2:43 PM  

  • I've worked on a construction site, and dressing, acting, and carrying yourself like a lady makes a HUGE difference. I never had any problems... they wouldn't hardly even cuss in my office.

    By Blogger Jana B, at 6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home