Stepping Heavenward

2006-09-24

First Day of Sunday School...

After wanting to start Sunday School at our church for months, today was the first day!

Yesterday I got the church key and went in to put up posters and get the worksheets organised, while Isabelle (a little girl I look after) coloured on one of the black boards for "the little kids to see tomorrow when you teach them".

The plan was to have my friend Vlora help out with me for Sunday School, along with one of the mothers. I thought that this was a great plan...I didn't want to do it on my own! They told me that I could set it all up, plan what we were going to do and they would help supervise. Sounds great. We normally only have about half a dozen Sunday school aged children and everything was going according to plan.

Then today came, and as I sat waiting for everybody to turn up I realised we were going to have a few more than six children for Sunday School. We had a LOT of visitors, and so far neither Vlora or Anne-Marie had turned up!
But before my heart completely stopped beating, they arrived and when Vlora sat next to me we both looked around the room. "There's millions of them!" I whispered to her and we gave each other with nervous grins.

After we had finished singing and the announcements were done, we trooped downstairs with the children...and yes, there was more than half a dozen children. We had FIFTEEN children from the ages of 3-13 years old!
A little scary for The First Time Ever Sunday School Teachers! But we made it, despite the fact that we had...
1. To croak out the same song three times before anybody came close to getting the hang of it.
2. Catch a runaway child before he ran up the stairs into the church room again.
3. A dear little boy stand up and sing a "Bible Song" from Sesame Street, complete with actions:)

Phew. It was a little stressful, especially when Vlora had to mind 8 month old Bethany the whole time and was unable to help because of that! But the kids all ran upstairs once we had finished, waving the papers they had coloured in
and nobody had got lost or killed, and we had nobody hanging from the lights, or getting locked in the bathrooms. So I guess it was a success!

14 Comments:

  • I had no Idea you were "real."
    I'm sorry! A certain friend of mine just loves to pose as unknown people and act like them, so I didn't know if "celeste" (A wonderful name, btw) was another one of his gimmicks.

    Like I said, I'm sorry.

    Thanks for talking on my site though :-D
    ~Caleb ><>

    By Anonymous Caleb, at 7:14 PM  

  • Wow! Sounds like you have a really interesting background!
    I'll be going over your site some more soon... g2g for now.

    Thanks,
    ~Caleb ><>

    By Anonymous Caleb, at 7:19 PM  

  • Ha ha!! For some reason your thingy majig REALLY (grin) wouldn't let me post my blog address...but you're forgiven!! ;) *more grinning*

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 7:37 PM  

  • Sunday school for kids is always brilliant! Glad you have gotten something going, and don't worry it'll get easier! el

    By Anonymous el, at 8:04 PM  

  • ok. thanks, el, can u please let go of my arm...you're hurting me....

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 8:07 PM  

  • you're right, this is stupid, but i luv u just the same

    By Anonymous el, at 8:07 PM  

  • you're disguting when you try and b nice. ha ha ha

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 8:08 PM  

  • that's not very original, update your jokes

    By Anonymous el, at 8:09 PM  

  • rofl

    I'm forgiven... ah, the relief.
    Thanks...

    By Anonymous Caleb, at 12:27 AM  

  • Caleb:
    don't push it mate...

    LOL ;)

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 9:00 AM  

  • *shivvers*

    By Anonymous Caleb, at 4:37 PM  

  • uh huh.

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 5:49 PM  

  • Congrats on surviving!!! Want some good sites for finding kids stuff? I have a stockpile!

    By Blogger Jana B, at 8:39 PM  

  • Go for it, girl!!!! life saver, you!

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 8:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home