Stepping Heavenward

2006-08-07

Why Worry?

So many times in our lives we worry about things. For young people we are faced with unsettling questions of "Will I pass my exams?" "Will I get the job I am looking for?" "Will I ever get married?"

For middle aged people the list may be slightly different. "How do I get the money to replace the window Jane broke when she tried to ride her bike through it?" "How am I supposed to fit all these activities into one day? I've got a million things to do!"

For grandparents the list is still different. They might worry about their pensions, their married children, or the problem grandchild.

The lists are endless! We seem to run around in a turmoil and all the while things get worse and worse in our lives. When we stop to think about how many things we worry over, it boggles our minds!

But what does God say? "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you. Don't let your heart be troubled". John 14:27

"God's peace?" we cry out, pausing for a moment. "Oh, if only we could have His peace in our lives!" But even though we read those gentle words we still continue to fly around in a fit-still worrying about the day to day things we have to deal with.

That's when God's words of "Be still and know that I am God", really jump out at us. We weren't created to struggle on alone in our life. We need to rest in God and know that He does care about every little or big detail in our lives. He is with us always and he wants us to unload all our cares on Him. (1st Peter 5:7)

Even when we are overwhelmed, confused or daunted, God is not. He created us and brought us into this world for a reason and He knows the plans He has for us. (Jeremiah 29:11) Why bother panic and stress out when the God of the universe is on our side and in control of our lives, ready to give us a hand if only we will allow Him to?

Whenever we worry over things we are actually doubting God- and robbing ourselves of His peace which "passes understanding". Ephesians 3:19 We can only truly be free when we stop spinning around in circles and grab hold of our Father's hand and say, "Okay Lord, things aren't working here. Help me to put my complete trust in you and to give everything that worries me into your hands".

It's not easy to do, but it's worthwhile. And I can imagine the smile on God's face when we eventually do give it all over to Him.

Cel

3 Comments:

  • hey sis, these are words needed to ne spoken today! There is so much sympathy towards all kinds of weaknesses, and we have to meet with people's problems sometimes, but it gives no hope when we let people believe that they have reason to be down or stressed out. There's hope in the message that when we are weak God is all the strength for us that we miss! Great to read, very encouraging, I'm blessed by it! Love you sis!Your Jacky

    By Anonymous Jacky Baken, at 7:05 PM  

  • Love you, Jacky! And thanks! from your little sis, Cel :)

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 7:53 PM  

  • Ps. And yes I do remember that crazy defender ride in the howling gale and locked in the back with everybody and a smelly wet dog! Ahhh...memories, huh? :)

    By Blogger Celeste McGrath, at 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home